Sheffield Hallam University


Sheffield Hallam University dates back to 1843 when the Sheffield School of Design was founded. In 1969 it merged with the city’s College of Technology to form Sheffield Polytechnic, which became Sheffield City Polytechnic in 1976 when the city’s two teacher training colleges were absorbed into the institution. In 1992 the institution was granted University status and became known as Sheffield Hallam University.

Sheffield Hallam University is one of the city’s largest employers, as well as a significant provider of higher education to South Yorkshire residents, and makes a significant contribution to the region’s economic and social development. One of the University’s top priorities is promoting wealth creation through enterprise and knowledge transfer. Sheffield Hallam University is consistently placed among the leading modern universities and was placed joint top among modern universities for its research capacity in the 2001 Research Assessment Exercise, achieving grade 4 or higher in 7 of its subject based submissions.

The University has a student population of over 28,000, including over 6,700 postgraduate students. Around 12 per cent of students come from overseas. The University employs over 3,200 staff (figures taken from the Sheffield Hallam University website, correct as September 2002).

Contact:
Sheffield Hallam University
City Campus

Howard Street

Sheffield

S1 1WB

0114 225 5555

www.shu.ac.uk