The Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission (YHCC) is an independent advisory body set up to bring actors from the public, private and third sectors together to support and guide ambitious climate actions across the region.
The Commission has four inter-related aims:
- to foster climate resilience and adaptation to climate risks and impacts
- to support rapid progress towards net zero carbon emissions
- to encourage a just and inclusive transition and climate actions that leave no-one and nowhere behind
- to promote sustainability and climate actions that also protect nature and biodiversity.
The YHCC convenes a series of Working Groups and Panels which focus on specific challenges or topics.
Yorkshire Universities has been tasked with convening the Research & Evidence Panel (REP) of the YHCC
Ensuring that the Commission connects to the region’s research base to strengthen the evidence base underpinning its work and to allow it to foster and benefit from future research.
Current activity: Research & knowledge base mapping
Key to the delivery of the YHCC actions is informative, authoritative and robust research and evidence. Yorkshire and the Humber’s universities hold a diverse, internationally-recognised, research base that will be vital in delivering the climate action plan. In order to efficiently draw on this depth and breadth of expertise and talent there is a need to undertake a comprehensive audit of our capabilities and capacities.
To this end members of the YHCC REP have developed a questionnaire to create a dynamic database of expertise across the region. The questionnaire, compiled by Olimpia Bianca Drotleff and Christopher Gorse at Leeds Beckett University, will capture both the broad breadth and depth of expertise across the various institutes, centres, groups, along with individual researchers, based in the region’s Universities.
We invite and encourage you to register your skills and capabilities within this process such that the Commission can draw upon the best and most effective expertise in the delivery of the climate action plan.
Next meetings and upcoming events:
- 28 September 2021 Y&H Green Jobs and Skills Summit
- 11 October 2021 REP meeting
- 9 November 2021 Yorkshire Climate Change Summit
- 23 November 2021 REP meeting
Would you like to be involved with the REP? We'd be pleased to have you on board! Get in touch with: email@example.com
- Terms & reference of the Research and Evidence Panel
- The climate emergency requires local and regional action in Yorkshire
- Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission press release: Ambitious climate partnership for Yorkshire and Humber
- Yorkshire Universities & Arup regional roundtable on the climate emergency: a summary
REP Current members
Chair: Professor Daniel Parsons, Professor in Sedimentology, Director of Energy and Environment Institute, University of Hull
Dr Jo Cutter, Lecturer in Work and Employment Relations, University of Leeds
Bianca Olimpia Drotleff, Research Administrator, Leeds Sustainability Institute, School of Built Environment, Engineering & Computing, Leeds Beckett University
Dr William Eadson, Reader in Urban and Regional Sustainability Policy at CRESR, Sheffield Hallam University
Professor Andy Gouldson, Environment and Climate Policy, University of Leeds, Co-lead of the ESRC Place-based Climate Action Network and Chair of Leeds Climate Commission
Dr Robyn Inglis, Acting Research Development Manager (Environment) & York Environmental Sustainability Institute Research Facilitator, University of York
Professor Dennis Lam, Chair in Structural Engineering, Director of Bradford Centre for Sustainable Environments, University of Bradford